This toolkit has been developed to help primary and secondary schools to comply with their legal responsibilities under the NSW Public Health Act 2010, including:
• requesting an approved immunisation form at enrolment that shows that the student is:
– fully immunised for their age;
– not fully immunised for their age; or
– has a medical reason not to be immunised; or
– is on a recognised catch-up schedule
• maintaining an immunisation register that records the immunisation status of students at enrollment
• retaining immunisation records for 3 years from the date on which each enrolled student ceases to attend the school, and providing a copy of a student’s immunisation certificate to a new school where the child is due to enrol (upon request)
• notifying their local public health unit if an enrolled student has a vaccine preventable disease; or if an unvaccinated enrolled student has come into contact with a person with a vaccine preventable disease.
More information about these legal responsibilities is available on the NSW Health website at www.health.nsw.gov.au/immunisation.
School Immunisation Enrolment Toolkit